Alaska Part III

Like many, I've associated Alaska as cold with a mix of snow and ice.  Ketchikan, Alaska weather is one of the rainiest places in North America.  Located in the heart of the Tongass National Forest – the largest rain forest in North America.

DOL-A-5016

No wonder it is so green and lush. 


DOL-A-5065
Bald Eagles (mature male and female)
I included this photo (not a good one) because it was one of the best sightings I had during this adventure.  I'm no longer very mobile, as a result I didn't participate in any shore excursions.  I can manage short distances with occasional stops as we strolled through town.

DOL-A-4993
Our floating hotel - note the clear blue sky

DOL-A-5220
Whale of a tail


DOL-A-4958DOL-A-4972

  
DOL-A-4941


DOL-A-5015

An example of the landscape surrounding Ketchikan.

In case you missed the previous posts on Alaska.
Alaska - Part I
Alaska - Part II

Linking to:


Comments

Pamela Gordon said…
It is very beautiful there. I didn't know it is a rain forest area. Great capture of the eagles!
Stephanie said…
Gorgeous images. Love that marina shot!
I enjoyed your Alaska photos. We just talked to our neighbours (at advance polling) and they had done an Alaskan cruise too. It looks fantastic, perhaps we should consider it too.
Stephen Hayes said…
When we were in Sitka, we paid to go on a whale-watching cruise but we didn't spot any. You seem to be having better luck than we did.
Lia Storm said…
What wonderful shots! My next cruise will be to Alaska, but that is down the road a few years. This makes me more motivated to save :-)
Brian King said…
Beautiful photos! That ship is very impressive! I'm sure the scenery was even more impressive.
Michelle said…
That is quite a ship! Never thought about Alaska receiving so much rain.
Photo Cache said…
My honeymoon was a cruise to Alaska and our tour guide in Ketchikan called the rain, liquid sunshine and that description stuck to me.

Worth a Thousand Words
Red said…
You're having a great trip and learning lots along the way.
Klara said…
interesting part of the world. definitely worth visiting. great shots.
I'm really enjoying this series, Dan... Many great captures!
carol l mckenna said…
Lovely series of photography ~ Beautiful!

Happy Week to you,
artmusedog and carol
Liz said…
I loved Ketchikan! It's a shame you weren't mobile enough to do the shore excursions. You would have loved them!
We did the "Magical Misty Fjords by float plane". It was wonderful!
Ida said…
You are so lucky to take this cruise, Alaska is where my hubby would like to take a cruise too (of course I wouldn't mind going myself).
Loved your Eagle photo.
Gunilla Bäck said…
Gorgeous captures! Looks like you had a great time.

Popular posts from this blog

Tiny Treasures