Saturday, May 3, 2014

Muscovy!

I came across this pair of birds and originally guessed... these must be some sort of exotic goose. Turns out they're a very large duck.  I don't know about you folks, but I kinda think they're attractive.  I know what some of you might be thinking... and to that I say... they are apparently quite tasty.

DOL-A-3723


DOL-A-3725

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscovy_Duck
The Muscovy Duck (Cairina moschata) is a large duck native to MexicoCentral, and South America. Small wild and feral breeding populations have established themselves in the United States, particularly in the lower Rio Grande Valley of Texas, as well as in many other parts of North America, including southern Canada. Feral Muscovy Ducks are found in New Zealand and have also been reported in parts of Europe.

Another interesting link about these unique quackers was to a blog called The Hedge Combers. The post was titled Raising Muscovy Ducks.

Linking to:


Have a great weekend!



16 comments:

Stephanie said...

I like the bumpy texture of the face and that red coloring. I must say he is an attractive bird. Nice shot!

Black Jack's Carol said...

Oh dear. I have to admit I wish they weren't tasty (been vegetarian most of my life and vegan for the past few years) but I do love your photographs, Daniel.

Stephen Hayes said...

I won't buy attractive, but this guy just might be tasty.

DeniseinVA said...

I have only seen this duck once or twice in my life, I think they are great looking also. Enjoyed your photos of them very much.

Red said...

Yes, he's a different looking duck...rather large.

Buttons said...

They are one of my favorite, we had them when I was a kid I loved their beautiful faces. B

Margaret Adamson said...

SHHSSS! Not so loud, don't tell them they are tasty! Great shots.

Gunilla Bäck said...

Great shots. Different looking ducks for sure.

Bob Bushell said...

Brilliant photos of Muscovy Duck.

ladyfi said...

What good shots.

Andy said...

This not the ordinary run of the mill duck that we are used to seeing in Ontario. If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck.

eileeninmd said...

The Muscovy duck is attractive.. I am not so sure of tasty! Great shot! Thank you for linking up with my critter party.. Have a happy day!

TexWisGirl said...

we had a small flock of muscovies here for a few years. until we rescued thelma and louise and brought them home to run*a*round. they 'dispatched' the ducks in short order. they were young and rambunctious then. :)

Michelle said...

I can't say this is an attractive duck and those are some chunky legs!

EG CameraGirl said...

I was mystified the first time I saw one of these ducks!

Jane's Gardens said...

Great colourful pictures. They are quite beautiful creatures.