Tuesday, May 27, 2014

ID'ing Swallows

DOL-A-5214
Barn Swallow


DOL-A-5233
Barn Swallow


DOL-A-4682
Cliff Swallow


DOL-A-4698
Cliff Swallow

For those of us who enjoy birding, it is always nice when a fellow birder lends their experience and knowledge to others.   I was lucky enough to have a fellow birder point out the differences in identifying two different Swallows.

In this instance, it was between a Barn and Cliff Swallow.  The forehead of the Barn Swallow is reddish-brown like its throat, while the forehead of the Cliff is white.

* Thanks Terry Sprague for sharing your wealth of knowledge.

Terry is an experienced outdoor naturalist, guide and speaker. 

Linking to:


11 comments:

Karen said...

We currently have barn swallows nesting above our kitchen slider and in our barn. I love them!

Chel C said...

I have swallows in the gable end of my house, they come every year. If they keep still long enough I will try to take a shot of them to see what type we have. Wonderful birds!

Betsy Brock said...

Very nice! I usually see them in the air so this is nice to see some upclose pics!

Gary Phillips said...

So colourful!! Boom, Bobbi and Gary.

Lisa Gordon said...

Now I know the difference!
We have the barn swallows here.
These are wonderful images, Daniel.

Stephen Hayes said...

Thanks for teaching me something new today. Both birds are beautiful.

Stephanie said...

Nice to see them up close, they are beautiful to look at.

Ana Mínguez Corella said...

Swallows are so beautiful.. Nice pics..

Gillian Olson said...

Beautiful captures, they are seldom still.

ladyfi said...

Such pretty shots.

Terri @ Backward B Ranch said...

Barn swallows here too- I don't like them because they make such a muddy mess.