Healthy Environments and Surprises

The Eastern Gartersnake is highly variable in colour and patterning but tends to be dark green to black with three yellow stripes: one down the back and one on each side, on the second and third scale row. Some individuals have whitish chequered or speckled patterning along the back, and individuals (black back with no stripes) are very common in some regions (such as on Pelee Island).

The Eastern Gartersnake has a yellowish chin and belly. This species can grow to over a metre in length... however they're harmless to humans. Their presence suggests a healthy ecological environment.

PP-v1AA-8192



PP-v1AA-8199



PP-v1AA-8245

If the news from the recent tragedy in Newtown, Connecticut has you in a funk, consider performing small deeds to help raise you spirits.

As a treat, I've included an interesting birding link to the Boreal Songbird Initiative.  It's a great site to explore!  Within the site there is a fantastic birding checklist you can download by clicking here.

Linking to:


Comments

Tabor said…
Yes, just doing something...anything can help.
Michelle said…
Crazy/exceptional last shot :)
Kathy said…
Incredible photos, although snakes are not something I go out of my way to find!
Rosemary said…
Awesome shots Daniel! The colour and sheen of the snakeskin has me thinking of dragons... There aren't words to tell you how crazy that last shot is, genius!
Stephen Hayes said…
I can admire snakes but prefer to keep them at a distance. Unless I have the privilege of seeing them up close thanks to your talented lens.
Beth said…
The photos are nice but I am not a fan of snakes.
Red said…
Snakes are all too often ignored. As you say, they indicate a healthy eco system.
Stephanie said…
Very nice clear photos of the snake. I am rather afraid of them. But you did capture it so nicely.
Hilary said…
I'm not real fond of snakes but these are wonderful shots.
Ok I wasn't expecting a snake, but that last shot is super!
Danielle said…
Although I don't care for snakes I certainly agree they make for some interesting photo subjects...my daughter loves them and also spends a lot of time photographing them...the last shot is certainly captivating!! Thanks for that link!!
Madge Bloom said…
Gartersnakes are the only snakes we have in Western Washington... we played with them as kids... Thank you for sharing on Weekly Top Shot #62!
That is one amazing tongue shot on that snake.

Popular posts from this blog

Tiny Treasures