Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Naturally of Course

When diving any area, ensure you have a basic understanding of the location and what you can expect to see.  Then plan your dive accordingly and dive your plan.

Terms such as Shark Infested Waters and the like are meant to instill fear.  Having a healthy respect for sharks is important but you should make a point of knowing something about the different sharks you may encounter while diving. Knowledge is power.

These pics are from my grab bag.  I'm nursing my already bad back for which I underwent mega spinal surgery 11 years ago.







I'd be lying if I said I didn't experience any doubts the first time I got in the water with sharks.  The stories, movies, and sound tracks all moved centre stage in my mind.  However, after a short period time in their presence and the pre-dive briefing and dive plan kicked in.  Soon I began to enjoy and appreciate their graceful movement, curiosity and of course, their power.   Like lions, this apex predator typically picks the easiest prey.  There purpose helps keep a reef in balance and good health.

If you're the least bit curious about scuba diving, take an introductory lesson.  Once you're properly trained, you'll soon discover just how liberating the experience can be.

Have yourself a wonderful today and tomorrow!

13 comments:

Jori said...

Incredible! What wonderful photo's you have captured. I have never scuba dived. I have snorkeled and saw so many beautiful things. it was amazing.

Grandma Barb's This and That said...

Wow! Gorgeous shots of the sharks.

Crafty Gardener said...

Wow, better you than me in the water with sharks. Do you do any diving locally?

Renae said...

Whoa! Dennis, amazing! those are tremendous photos. that is all.

Stephen Hayes said...

I think I've mentioned once or twice my terror of sharks, but I do respect them and feel that they play an important role in the health of our oceans. And they have much more to fear from us then we do from them. Great pictures; I prefer your more current manner for adding your name to your work. I imagine this has evolved over time.

Tammy said...

Daniel, these photos are incredible! What an experience to be so close to such magnificent creatures. I'd be lying if I didn't say I'd be scared of them:)

Zosia said...

It's a Steven Spielberg post: "Close Encounters" and "Jaws" :-).
Great photos.

Buttons said...

Oh I do hope your back pain eases.
These photos are awesome that must be something so close to a shark. B

Gail Dixon (Louisiana Belle) said...

Yowzers, I can't imagine ever feeling at ease enough to swim among the sharks. Your photos are awesome!! Hope your back feels better soon. That's gotta be really painful. :(

Michelle said...

I can't imagine taking these photographs. Such excellent shots and close!

Stephanie said...

Fabulous shots of the sharks!

Liz said...

Wonderful shots, Daniel!! What an experience!

Kerri said...

YIKES!