Friday, October 19, 2012

Pumpkinfest

Roughly 13 months ago we moved to Prince Edward County (PEC).  Being Autumn, we joined the community in an annual event titled Pumpkinfest.  We enjoyed the event last year so much we thought it would be just as good if not better this year.  As it turns out, this years weather was perfect!  After an early morning breakfast at the Town Hall.  We enjoyed pancakes cider, apple sauce and sausages and then walked around and visited the different concessions until the parade.  All local fare was donated and it was prepared and served by cheery volunteers.  We were also entertained by local musicians.


With a small town population of 1700, you quickly realize that streets were lined with people who admire this small towns ambiance and way of life.


At the pancake breakfast you had a choice of a 'small or large' helping.  I enjoyed a large and part of small with local maple syrup.  :)





The heaviest pumpkin tipped the scale over 1100 lbs or 498kg for my friends who love the metric system.  Can anyone imagine the size of the pumpkin pie?

Linking to:

10 comments:

Buttons said...

Wow I missed that too bad that looks like a lot of fun. Great photos. Maybe next year. B

Stephen Hayes said...

Such Americana. You've captured rural life at its finest.

Paul in Powell River said...

Your reference to the "county" and not the town - Wellington - gave me cause to wonder, so I did some on-line reading. I did not realize that all those small communities banded together to form one rather large, area-wise anyway, "city", including Picton where I lived a number of years as a kid, before moving to Kingston via a year in Trenton. Fond memories of the area, though I haven't visited for a while.

Terri @ Coloring Outside the Lines said...

That is one way-cool pumpkin! I love the tractor too. Looks like a fun day!

eileeninmd said...

Looks like a fun parade. The pumpkin looks huge. Great photos, have a happy weekend!

Val said...

What a wonderful festival...
That pumpkin would make for a HUGE pie :)

Madge Bloom said...

What a delightful time... I LOVE that old pickup, vintage perfection! Thank you for sharing on Weekly Top Shot #53!

Zosia said...

What a fun day.
I am not big on a pumpkin pie, but give me pumpkin soup any time.

Betsy Brock said...

your little town is about the same size as mine and this reminded me of our Labor Day celebrations here.

Love that pumpkin in the last shot! The lines of It's The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown started through my head. haha

Lisa Gordon said...

What a fun time!
I just love that old truck, and the giant pumpkin is amazing!!