Bird Observatory in Action

DOL-A-0047Yesterday I spent a couple of hours with some of the folks at the Prince Edward Point Bird Observatory (PEPtBO).  They were actively collecting birds from the nets to record vital statistics in their bird banding efforts.  These activities serve as their primary objective in monitoring bird migration during the Spring and Fall months and is also part of a nation-wide collaborative program of Bird Studies Canada called the Canadian Migration Monitoring Network.


I was quite impressed by this dedicated group of volunteers and the work they do.   I captured images of some birds I recognized and many I didn't (life-long learning).  I hope you enjoy the photos and consider supporting the Prince Edward Point Bird Observatory, a non-profit organization.

There are a number of ways you can support the important work they do.  Click on How You Can Help to discover just how you can make a valued contribution.

If you wish to contact someone at PEPtBO, please call: Kathy Felkar @ 613-476-9757
or by email: mburge@kos.net

DOL-A-0729
DOL-A-0726









DOL-A-0750

DOL-A-0759

DOL-A-0742
DOL-A-0769

DOL-A-0778DOL-A-0770


There are a great many worthwhile causes that seek support, please consider adding this one to your list.

Comments

Gary said…
Great post!! Up here NWO Birds runs the same thing. Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.
Beautiful photos of these birds. It's great that they are banding them to record their migratory habits.
ADRIAN said…
Superb images.....looks a wonderful day.
Excellent photography of amazing birds ~ Wow! (A Creative Harbor)
Terri Buster said…
Wonderful shots- it is a great thing to do- tracking migration routes.
Buttons said…
Oh Daniel excellent post. Your photos are beautiful.
I have always wanted to visit this place. B
Carole M. said…
I'm sure this was a very interesting project to observe; and you got the chance for some up close photography too. I recognize a few of those birds from my side of the world also.
Crafty Gardener said…
We visited there for the first time this year and plan to go back now the saw-whett owls are starting to get banded.
I had a photo opportunity at a Purple Martin banding day, quite the thing to see. Ièm envious of the n umber of different birds you got to shoot.
Linda said…
Very interesting post...I visited a Wildlife Rehab Center earlier this year - very interesting. I was privileged to watch surgery on a Turkey Vulture...fascinating!
Sharon M said…
How cute! How can anybody not love them??
Stephen Hayes said…
Your posts have really made me stop and think about birds, a subject I've never before thought much about. Thanks for expanding my horizons.
DeniseinVA said…
What a neat program to be part of. I loved your photos of these sweet little birds Daniel. Beautifully done!
Tammy said…
How cool to see these beautiful birds so close! Excellent photos of them all. Looks like a great organization. I can imagine watching the process must have been so fascinating!
Michelle said…
What a wonderful organization. Such excellent photos. They all look rather sweet....except that one on the top right hand side.
missing moments said…
Love the post! Great shots of some very handsome birds!
Gowri Saligram said…
Impressive. Some lovely birds there. And commendable work by the organisation.
Jesh StG said…
Beautiful photos of these birds!
Bob Bushell said…
Beautiful images, and, it's a just cause.
Very interesting and a great opportunity to take these lovely close up images.
Stewart M said…
Seeing birds in the hand like this is a great thing to do - I really enjoy it.

Cheers

Stewart M - Australia
Betsy Brock said…
wow...what a fun time! I would have loved to have been there! What neat photos of them, too! I see my favorite little wren there at the end. So entertaining!
Beautiful shots of beautiful birds and a very good report.
EG CameraGirl said…
I would love to see banding up close in person some day. Yes, birding is life-long learning, that's for sure. I am still a newbie.
Liz said…
Great post, Daniel and wonderful bird shots!
Anonymous said…
wow gold
wow gold
[url=http://buywowgold.ru/]wow gold[/url]

Popular posts from this blog

Tiny Treasures